Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Lunch Lady.


This year my son entered full day kindergarten. His first experience at eating lunch at school and my first experience at making them. So far, I have made 3 full weeks of the same lunch: Peanut Butter and Jelly on Whole Wheat, Goldfish Pretzels, fruit snacks and the occasional snack bag of baby carrots. I wish I had more variety to add to his lunch, but I also wish he was willing to try more. So in fear of becoming so accustomed to the same lunch that I could make it in my sleep and to keep my picky eater turning into a peanut butter and jelly, I searched for some fun, easy lunch options that would not scare my son from eating trying something new and give a little variety to something I have to do way more times than I can understand.

Here is what I found:

1. Ham and Cheese Swirl. Use a tortilla top it with mayo,ham and cheese, roll it and slice in half or quarters.

2. Apples slices with a side of peanut butter to dip. (Sprinkle the apple slices with a little bit of lemon juice to keep them from turning brown)

3. Baby Carrots with a side of low fat ranch dressing.

4. Create your own lunchables. Whole Wheat Ritz crackers, some cheese and lunch meat slices to top.

5. This one is basic, but we do this all the time. Use your cookie cutters to cut out sandwiches into fun shapes. This may be a way to get them to try a new one. Which leads me to number 6...

6. Try new sandwiches, Hummus on whole wheat, cream cheese and strawberries, peanut butter and honey or just something your child doesn't usually eat, like turkey and cheese.

7. One of my favorites, celery with peanut butter, or a wedge of cheese.

8. Nothing wrong with some of your child's favorite leftovers, pieces of chicken and a little bit of cheese mac.

9. If your child is old enough to handle it, pack their favorite soup in a Thermos.

10. My son is a Life Cereal addict so I know he would love this one, Cereal in a bow/Milk in a Thermos.

What are your favorite variations on the standard boring school lunch?

No comments:

Post a Comment